Skip to main content

Nero's guests; reaction

     The issues we talk of in cities in colleges, of love and of hate, of money and of fame, are these of any importance when at the same time more vital issues, more delicate ones, like death due to poverty remain hardly untouched. Today we saw a documentary, "Nero's guests", a film on P. Sainath's, rural affairs editor of The Hindu, coverage of the farmer suicides in Vidharba and the likes. We sat there, hardly blinking, hardly smiling, reacting to each subtitle, reacting to each farmer case, reacting to ignorance of media. The silence is heard after the show, I don't think I ever heard that before.
         The government didn't turn their heads when farmers in large thousands turned their sweating lives into bloody deaths. When the toll,earlier slow accelerated from one or two a month to two or three a day. Farmers, who had a family to sustain and loved doing that, who gathered funds to educate their sons, who gathered funds to marry their daughters, to feed their fields got nothing more than pesticides to end their lives. The farmers who loving their families, were forced to leave their families on their own. I would like to commend Mr. Sainath and media men like him who made immense effort to force the government move it's b*** and come to the rescue.
       Some cases were real quiet and moving ones. The one where mothers woke up at 4, cooked and did household work, caught a train at 6 to work, returned 11 at night; hardly getting time even to meet their kids. The one where a father, who was educating his sons by loans passed away, leaving behind his two sons who had to drop out of their first years. The sons, young bodies trying to fit in the wide shoulder clothes of their dad, are afraid of life, afraid of caring their mother, afraid of the loans their dad left to them, afraid of the death. The one where a farmer poet left behind his daughters, the daughters he loved, a box full of tears(read poems).
His poem, I think is one of the most beautiful metaphors I've read in my life. It goes like this as far as subtitles are concerned, of course in regional language.
' a bony child cried to his mother, "mother, please give me something to eat. I am hungry since last night". The mother lovingly showed him the sun and said, "son, I'll give you that bread but let it cool down a little. If you'll eat it this hot, you'll burn your tongue". As the sun drowned in the cool sea, the child crying for hunger went again to sleep.'
Did the sun feed the child???

Comments

  1. I pledge I would never take the face of Nero's guests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pledge I would never take the face of Nero's guests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we ever can. We can never take light from burning bodies.

      Delete
    2. I don't think we ever can. We can never take light from burning bodies.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ode on an evanescent flower

In shades of pink and shades of white, As an armor of a plucky knight; At a certain point of day in time, Thou beauty of the summer, thou shine. Three days for the life you wait, Three days to come off your adolescent age; Three days until that green bud sprouts, Three days until your Beauty you flout. Awaiting a time long you once shine, At a morning that all, but you, whine; No sorrow no sign of meloncholy you show, Even though this life you live is miniscule of a blow. Thine head held high with pride, Thine salute to the sun, big smile; Thine beauty above all at prime, Thou Beauty of summer, thou shine. This is the pride that envies me above all, The pride in spite of a life so small; A day thou have, a day that's all, Then too you live life so gay, so tall. With the cheer thou spread across horizons wide, With colours which as the sun, or even bright; The lesson you teach across generations wide, A life lived large is a

The Midway

This is my entry to  https://housing.com/lookup I've always wondered what could be that one thing that one could do towards well being of others without letting go off one's own interests. That may sound a bit anti-noble but that is what is true. There is a certain mentality which does not let a person go an extra mile against one's own direction. That is a kind of optimism ice always been searching, ironically on my own track. But that search of the midway ended in the summer of 2009 while I was in high school. That day was just like any other day. I dressed up for school on my regular morning routine and left the house for the taxistand. I luckily found a taxi even before reaching the stand. When the taxi reached the stand, the driver got down to gather more passengers. A usual action done in the morning hours by the kind. I sat near the window, looking out and breathing the morning freshness. At that time, I saw something. Something that sent a chill down my spine a

Old letter, New envelope.

An old Physics teacher, the one whom I looked up to, once told me it doesn't matter what you know. What matters is if you can tell what you know. He was referring to my very disturbing habit of eating up steps while proving theorems. I always used to skip the very obvious steps thinking the examiner would know that I know. Not surprisingly, as it seems now, I lost marks here and there. But after that brief talk which was more of a lecture though, and a couple more, I realized what he was trying to tell and I did correct those mistakes. But today, four  or five later, I find the saying true, but in a different setting. Today we see people commenting on various political parties, their ideologies, social issues, their causes and criticism, preach feminism with blindfolded eyes, and propaganda of all sorts. These people sit in their comfort zones, in their warm rooms with phones and computers with thousands of rupees, with good internet facilities that too is not cheap in any existi